Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Livid

Below is a letter I sent to Alcoa, an aluminum company operating in virgin jungle in the Amazon that I read about in Bloomberg magazine. http://www.bloomberg.com/news/marketsmag/mm_0909_trim3.html

Makes me ill inside when companies shit on the rest of us and tell us we like it.

This is the link to their page that claims they are part of the solution to our global environmental woes http://www.alcoa.com/global/en/eco_alcoa/eco_overview.asp

I'm livid!!!! See below.


I find it interesting the selective information you provide on your website regarding the environmental impact that your company has on this planet.

While I agree that it is important to use lighter materials to reduce the need for fossil fuels in transport, etc. You completely, though not surprisingly, forget to mention that you're tearing up virgin rain forest in the Amazon (highlighted in the current issue of Bloomberg magazine) in order to procure the ore you require for production! So short-sighted!!!

I expect that this note will fall on deaf ears as you probably have billions invested in your current projects in Brazil. It kills me that companies like Alcoa are so sociopathic in nature, destroying untold treasures for the purpose of money and "progress" that is unsustainable and then go on to reframe the argument as though they are the good guys.

So to the underling that has probably stopped reading by now, you can tell your superiors that your company makes me sick.

No comments:

Post a Comment