Not too surprisingly, when people hear the word "pad" their minds flip to period jokes. They don't see the connection maybe between iPod and iPad ... well, maybe they do but it's not as funny... I think the iPad jokes were lame before they got going. Now there is talk about iTampons, iDiapers... and is Apple seriously going to call their bigger version the MaxiPad? I doubt it... Advanced technology and absorbent materials do make strange bedfellows.These attempts at humour remind me that the lowest common denominator is inescapable most times. Although it is good to see that there is some actual discussion going on about the features and limitations of the new "must-have" by tech buffs.
One thing I found interesting was that with the rumour mill churning with speculation the past few days about what the iPad had to offer, people were saying that Apple was remaining silent on the subject. I think this is a load of shit, quite honestly. To me it seemed like a clear viral marketing campaign to build hype and interest that probably cost Apple next to nothing to start and maintain. It was a smart move, but I'm surprised that more people didn't call them out on it. I mean, come on! It's Apple! of course they're not going to confirm or deny anything said online about their new cash cow.
I'm such a cynical PCer!

Actually a lot of the "hype" about the ipad in the tech community is very bad. The app store as an only means of software is a huge step backwards in privacy and openness with computers. You are going to pay huge sums of money for a computer that you cannot control in any aspect.
ReplyDelete